A brief history of the village

One of the earliest records of the village is circa 1066 when Stigand archbishop of Canterbury held 'Bereford' manor. The estate comprised then of 30 acres of land, with another 30 held by one of his freemen. In addition 46 acres were attributed to Costessey manor by earl Guert, and 30 more belonged to the Abbey of St Benet at Holm. The earliest surviving building is the parish church of St Botolph's, situated at the west end of the current village, with attributes dated roughly between 1166-1266. 

 St Botolph's church

Barford is still blessed with many of the original buildings which contained the essential trades and services that were common place in most villages in Georgian and Victorian times.